Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

One of my favorite BYU remarks

*Note to non-Mormon readers: I go to a predominantly Mormon college, which is sometimes frustrating to find diversity, but I generally love feeling a unity with people of my faith. We believe that sexual relations are reserved for marriage. So that is why you know when people get married, it's also a time of losing the v-card.

Typical overheard conversation:

Person: "Oh hey, [name]!"
Newly Married Person: Hey how are you?
P: So good! How about you? You just got married right?
NMP: Oh yeah last month
P: How's married life?
NMP: Oh it's so awesome.

Pause. "How's married life?" Really?? I typically only hear this conversation among females...maybe there is an occasional male in there. I always snicker a bit at this question because, come one, we're not stupid. At least I'm not. I know exactly what you mean when you say "how's married life?" What you really mean, is "how do you enjoy being sexually liberated after so long?" That's really all that's changed. Let's face it: You were probably together every minute you could be while you were engaged, so it's not like you see each other that much more. You now have to worry about insurance, cell phone bills, and other unforseen expenses that your parents may have used to take care of. You probably have even less money than before you were married. You have to be on birth control, which can be a hassle if your body doesn't like the brand you are using. But you get to have sex now--guilt-free. That's really the one good thing that comes out of this whole newly married mess.

Please don't think I am being obsene or anti-marriage. I think marriage is great when you're ready for it. It's an important and mature step in one's life to make such a commitment of love to the person you want to be with forever. It allows you to create an environment where love can grow deeper than you imagined. Sex is an expression of that love. Yes, some people use it for meaningless gratification, but that is not how I want to use it.

Anyway, I just wish people would say what they really mean when they ask a Mormon, "how's married life?" I guess that could just get uncomfortable and awkward, but it would be funny. I guess I'll be content with the ambiguous euphemism.

But just know, you're not fooling anybody.

No comments: