Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

social awkward...ness

It comes in many forms, but here is one out of the many things that annoyed me today.

Disclaimer: I'm sure I've had my fair share of social awkwardness as well, but I'm slowly becoming a more socially competent person, and you should be too.

Socially Awkward Pet Peeve: People who half talk to themselves and you at the same time.

You're not really having a conversation, but you're just by each other because you have to work together or some other forced situation and you might say something every now and again. But these people will say things loud enough that you know it's not exactly meant solely for them, but quiet enough that you have to constantly be like, "What?" To which they might say what they said (which will give no momentum to the conversation anyway) or they just say "oh, um, nevermind..." To which you have no choice but to say "oh..." and just find something to distract yourself from the lingering silence and the "you're really bad at this social interaction" look that so desperately wants to take residence on your face. But you refrain because that would be mean.

I'm kind of a shy person. It's just my temperment. So I know it's bad when I'm actually the outgoing one in the group/pair/etc. situation.

Silence doesn't bother me. Awkward silence bothers me. I don't think people have to talk all the time to fill the space, but I can tell when people are uncomfortable with lulls in the conversation, and then I get squirmy too. One of my favorite movie quotes goes like this: (Edited for your viewing)

Woman: Don't you hate that?
Man: What?
Woman: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about [stuff] in order to be comfortable?
Man: I don't know. That's a good question.
Woman: That's when you know you've found somebody special. When you can just [shut up] for a minute and comfortably enjoy the silence.

I have found some of these people in my life. It's refreshing.

No comments: