Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2010

This ain't no place for the weary kind

I said I would blog about Crazy Heart, so here it goes...

This movie was my favorite kind of movie. I like when movies take their time when appropriate for the subject matter. I like movies that examine life and are not always constrained following the old cliche plot that peaks and falls.

Crazy Heart is about a washed-up old country singer who drinks his demons away. He meets Jean, a young woman who initially just wanted an interview, but ends up developing a friendship and love. Yes, there is a significant age difference, but maybe that is one meaning of the title Crazy Heart. I wish there was a better way to say "love knows no age." I think this movie showed that all people from all walks of life can create intimate connections with one another. Before you think it, this movie is not cliche, but it is not depressing just to avoid being cliche. And I like that. It's optimistic in a refreshingly realistic way.

You probably won't enjoy this movie if you're just looking for something to entertain you. Yes, that is one reason to watch movies, but that is not my only reason, and it is certainly not my priority when I watch movies. Crazy Heart requires you to feel what the characters feel. You ultimately leave evaluating yourself and what you want to live for and how you want your life to be and how you are going to look at people differently and how you are going to develop relationships.

It's just a beautiful movie.

No comments: