Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I don't know what I knew before

Act II: Doubt creeps in from stage left.

Intellect, Common Sense, Occam's Razor, and Confidence all go on vacation at the exact same time. The only neighbor left is Doubt. I invite him in for (soy)milk and (vegan)cookies. I listen intently as he tells me of these grand analyzations of the people around me--old friends, new friends, acquaintances, interests... Hope, the little girl across the street wants to come join our little party, but Doubt, suave and debonair, hastly shews her away. He begins to blabber on as his charm hides his hiss. But his voice soon becomes soothing and oddly logical as he repeats reason after reason that I've heard before. We gossip for a bit about the people in my life because Doubt has none. He played it safe and ended up alone, but unhurt. He has convinced me in the path to stick with the status quo. He will never leave my side because I am the one person he will stay true to.

Dear Self-Doubt,

We need to break up. I'm tired of these games of second-guessing, over-analyzing, coming to aburd conclusions, keeping interests at bay, never indulging, and playing it safe. You have kept me from getting hurt, but you have also kept me from feeling anything.

So I guess this is goodbye.

Sincerely,
Tanya

No comments: