Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

baby got back

I know I'm bottom-heavy, okay? My roommate legitimately thought for the first 2 months when we lived together that I was part Puerto Rican until I mentioned my real heritage. (I have not one iota of hispanic blood in me. It's all white English/Swedish...so exotic.) I have had other (male) friends also remind me of this detail most likely followed up with some inappropriate insinuation. I'm not sure how to feel about it, but they are my friends, so I do not take too much offense.

However, if we are not friends, you do NOT have the right to comment about the junk in the trunk.

While I was dancing in the RB, some guy--albeit an aquaintance--told my partner to stop looking down as he followed me in a hockey stick to spiral, overturned syncopated cha-cha lock section. The guy said, "I know she has a big one, but you have to look up."

Cue nausea and discomfort and red face and confliction of internal vs. external reaction.

My poor partner is this little freshman, and was probably just looking at the ground, as many unfocused or concentrating dancers are wont to do at times. He's also not the type to laugh at those kind of "jokes." It was awkward to say the least. And not just awkward. It was humilliating, but if I were to express this, then I'm the prude who can't take a joke. Now I see how easy it is to get away with sexual harassment.

So I know this post kind of has a mixed message. I'm being light-hearted and serious at the same time. It's probably because society would tell me to lighten up, but my psyche is a bit more sensitive than that. I guess people just need to know their boundaries. All I know is that I felt uncomfortable today, and I should have said something.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the guy that said that is a douche! DISLIKE..you do not even have "a big one" you are normal!