Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

New Years Resolutions: Day 1

Eat more vegetables.


I'm not a photographer, and so this probably doesn't look that appetizing, but I'm trying to put more pictures on my blog to make it more interesting now that I have a working camera. As you can see, that is a full plate of salad and steamed vegetables. Not to mention lentil soup on the side, which can also count as a serving of vegetables according to the Food Guide Pyramid.* This ratio of regular food: vegetables is going to apply to all my lunches and dinners until further notice. (Ideally it would be my whole life, but I don't want to give myself too daunting of a goal.) I'm also trying to cut out flour and sugar, which I was once successful at doing, and my body thanked me tremendously. I'll have to finish off a couple of items in my pantry, but soon I will be a flour-free, sugar-free, dairy-free herbivore. Bring on the spinach. Happy living!
*I normally don't follow the Food Guide Pyramid because I believe it mainly to be a bureaucratic device with a political agenda. Okay, that's maybe a little too cynical, but in a nutshell it is not the end all to human nutrition. As Michael Pollan says, "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

No comments: