Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

give me a break

Normally I'm not one of those people who tries to sound smarter than other people, but this really irked me today.

I'm in a pathophysiology class, which is heavily information-packed. I do not doubt that my professor is very knowledgeable on the subject.

However...

He starts talking about nutrition because many of the diseases we talk about have a dietary factor. But he always talks in absolutes, and he throws out claims that really make me doubt his expertise regarding nutrition. I have taken two nutrition classes, which doesn't sound like much, but it is two more than any biology major will ever have to take. I also consider myself a self-learned nutrition guru. I read a lot. I learn a lot. I am also very interested in food politics, and I admittedly have a vegan bias at times.

So when I hear things like "meat is the only source of absorbable iron in the diet," or "you must have four servings of dairy products a day to reduce chances of osteoporosis. All other supplements and sources are completely nonabsorbable," I want to roll my eyes. And I probably do. After doing a simple literature search, I have found that these claims are unfounded. I tentatively tried to ask the difference between calcium found in animal secretions than calcium found in other (natural) foods. I understand that different ion complexes affect its absorption. However, cow's feed is supplemented with calcium because they are fed corn in most cases instead of being grass-fed. (I really said this in the most non-snotty way possible. I'm very good at asking innocent questions.) To this though, my professor replies, "well I've never heard that before, so blah blah same absolute claim blah."

If there is one thing I hate, it is feeling stupid and wrong. Especially when it is unwarranted. Like today.

No comments: