Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

me

So I'm not a big fan of married blogs.

I should rephrase since I have readers with married blogs. What I mean is, I hate when people start a blog only for the sake that they are married. I don't know if that conveys a different meaning...

Case in point: (or is it point in case??) I came across a blog of a girl who was recently married and who was excited that she could finally have a blog due to her personal rule that only married people should have blogs. Apparently the "single life" just wasn't that interesting to blog about.

I disagree. I blog because I have opinions, experiences, goals, questions, humor, analyzations, and oberservations to offer to the cyber world. Or these can just be for my benefit and the benefit of my biggest blog fan [mom :)], and that is enough too.

Getting married doesn't change your personality or suddenly turn a light switch on in your brain to have thoughts to share. Plus (certain) married blogs have that awkward "we." Everything is presented in we's. "We did this. We think that. We felt this way. We want things that way. We're having a baby!" (not physiologically possible...) "We're eating dinner! We're getting a new job!" I feel like married blogs become more about the things you do together--most of which doesn't have a lot of profound meaning or interest--and you sound like you have morphed into one entity. Marriage shouldn't be about homogenizing. It should be about celebrating two people with two brains and two personalities who manage to synergistically create something better with each other.

And most of the time it's only one of the partners blogging anyway, which is why using the "we" pronoun for everything seems odd since the other half rarely participates in the blogging experience.

Anyway, that's all.

p.s. (This is nothing against you Claire in case you are wondering. I think you are fabulous :))

No comments: