Pages

Sunday, October 10, 2010

DOL nazi

Did anyone do DOL in school? Daily Oral Language?

I did this all through elementary and junior high school. It was basically these blatantly incorrect sentences that we would have to correct and rewrite. Occasionally they threw a curve ball that would stump the majority of the class, but mostly they were ridiculous.

Now I'm not an English major (though sometimes I wonder if I should have been). I take pride in my native tongue, and I've always been one to remember details and rules. This combined with the incessant DOL growing has thus turned me into a grammar nazi--but a passive one. I have been noticing this more and more. I don't call people out on their mistakes, but bad grammar drives me insane.

Some recent/frequent examples:
--Swum...is a word. Yes, it is hard to believe. I think I am the only person who uses it. I swam or I have swum. It is not: I have swam. Even when I use "swum," people will give me this funny look like I said "broughten" or something, but I find comfort in being right. This same principle works for "I drank" and "I have drunk."
--Alot...is not a word. It's two words actually. A lot. I thought this was old news, but apparently a lot of people are still in the dark.
--The phrase "drive safe" or "drive careful." There is this beautiful thing called the adverb, and it is one of the most constant rules we have in the English language. Please just add the --ly. I seriously whisper it too myself when someone leaves it off, because I can't handle the adjective-that-should-be-an-adverb dangling in the air like that.
--Sentences cannot end in prepositions. However, I am sometimes lenient on this one. Conversationally, it can be fine, but in written form, it looks odd. I only use it in writing if I am writing in a stream-of-consciousness style. Then I just write exactly how it first comes to mind, which is more of my conversational way of speaking.
--Subject-verb agreement. "Their" is not a term to establish gender neutrality. It signifies that there is more than one person of which you are speaking. A person must be paired with his or her correct pronoun.
--The difference between nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc. Example: In church today the teacher asked, "What are some characteristics of Jesus Christ?" Then people proceeded to say things like loving, compassionate, patient, etc. Rather than focusing on the lesson, I was going crazy that their words were in the wrong part of speech. If you are asking for characteristics, you are asking for nouns--love, compassion, patience. The question could be phrased differently to produce adjective answers, but it wasn't.

Sometimes I'm just a little OCD.
--

No comments: