Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Entender

I really just want to understand Spanish literature. I feel like I'm just getting by with a shallow knowledge of the storyline or by a substandard English translation--as much as I hate that. I really want to tear it apart, analyze it, digest it, let it get under my skin, arrest a portion of my mind. This is what English literature used to be for me back in high school. I have only taken one English class at BYU, and it was Writing about Literature (ENG 314). As much as I love science, I love dually English, art, dance, and music--despite my lack of talent in them. I feel both subjects of science and the arts are equally important to all aspects of life. They both require critical thinking and creativity in the end. I took ENG 314 my freshmen year to get a break from all the science. Technical writing was the class that was suggested for my major, but I would not have been able to stand it. Sadly, I took ENG 314 during a spring term, which was an accerlerated pace (read: shortened time to get to all the things you wanted to get to), and we spent the first part of class learning how to write cover letters and resumes and things of that nature. Useful, but boring. I think the class ended too soon.

Anyway, Spanish literature is just baffling. Partly because I'm not extremely fluent, and partly because I'm still comprehending the fantastic nature of it.

Basically, I'm staying home on a Friday night, so I can think about literature. I haven't done that in a long time.

No comments: