Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

career center

This is me writing about how good I am at writing. But really.

English classes have always been subjective. I never had much confidence in my writing skills because of this inconsistent system. I've always loved the subject, but it wasn't like math. Math, I knew I was good at because I could get a right answer to prove it. However, despite my lack of confidence in the subject, I still performed fairly well throughout high school in my English classes (which I guess isn't saying much because, you know, it's high school...)

Then I came to college expecting to get totally trashed when I turned in papers, but those were always fairly successful as well. In fact, one time I got a 101/100 on an anthropology paper--I still don't know how that's possible.

So today I brought a cover letter into the Career Advisement Center to be checked and critiqued since I'm an adult applying for jobs and future-y things (say what??). Again, I was expecting them to really tear me apart for my lack of skill. And again, I was surprised that I didn't actually have to change that much. The lady actually complimented me on how well-written it was.

Before you think I'm full of myself, this is the conclusion I came to. I'm not necessarily a brilliant writer--especially when it comes to creative writing; every attempt is a massive train wreck of cliches and melodrama, and it's just baaaaad. But dang, I can follow a prompt! This is why college papers have always turned out to be successful endeavors for me. My anthropology professor would have to give lectures on what a thesis is (because some people are inept), and I would be thinking, "Really? Are we really discussing this?" Just follow the directions people! When a prompt tells me to discuss A, B, and C, I just do it. When a mock cover letter tells me to mention this, this, and this, I just do it.

If there is one thing I learned from AP English, it is to FOLLOW THE PROMPT. Thank you Mrs. Baker/Ms. Bullo.



1 comment:

overgrownzygote said...

yesss!! while i doubt i can write things as succinctly as you (i still have lots of awkward phrasings sometimes), i have noticed the same themes. i bet ms baker and bullo would love to hear this though!!