Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

If music be the fruit of love...

I really love music. But I guess everyone does too. Sometimes I feel unworthy to be a music enthusiast because I can't play any instrument or sing that well. I don't know all about scales and keys and pitches and whatnot. I just know I like when I connect with something, and that's all that matters. I've had two new music interests lately: Matisyahu and She & Him.

Matisyahu: After my chemistry final on Thursday, my friend texted me about going to a Matisyahu concert. Most people have heard of him, and I had heard one song before (which I liked), but other than that, I didn't know a lot about him. Sometimes that's more fun to just go to a concert and discover something you've never heard before. I loved the concert. I realized I couldn't sing along to the songs like everyone else, but I just liked letting it all sink in. All in all, it was a really good time. Free concerts in Salt Lake are the best. It's basically a calling to all hipsters in the area to gather to the mothership. I felt a little out of place with the high schoolers and their interesting trends, but it's supposed to be about the music, right?

She & Him: This is a recent duo band with Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward (I don't know who that is). On the way to Matisyahu, this band came up, and I had heard a couple of songs before, and it was hit and miss for me. But this conversation made me want to look them up again. Zooey Deschanel is my girl crush, so I really like anything she does. My verdict of this band is that their sound is very retro-indie-pop, so it's not conducive to all situations, but it's better than the pop that's on the radio now. It's not lyrically groundbreaking or anything, but that's not really their goal. I think they are just trying to create a fun light-hearted band, and it works for that purpose. Zooey has a lot of soul and sincerity in her voice. I'm a fan.

No comments: