Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mom

This one goes out to my #1 blog fan: my beautiful mother.

Today I feel at a loss for words on how to express gratitude for this beautiful woman in my life. She has been there from the beginning--literally, but also in a way that is so much more than that. I don't know how else to phrase this other than, my mom gets it. She has known what it takes to love and raise children from day 1. This is not just because she is smart and cultured and hardworking and talented, but she has an overwhelming capacity to love and forgive and heal and support. I was reading Postsecret this Sunday, and I physically hurt for some of the resentment people felt for their mothers that they scrawled across the postcard. Maybe I have taken for granted that I always had a mother who built me up and believed in me. Maybe I have taken for granted that my mother's strength never wavered. Maybe I have taken for granted that my mom is one of my best friends and a constant source of wisdom. Maybe I have taken for granted that I have always had a source of unconditional love in my life without the fear of rejection or abandonment.

The only way I can possibly repay all the sacrifices my mom made for me is to be the kind of mother she is to my future children. I sincerely hope this is possible.

Mom, I love you forever! Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: