Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Ping

There is this concept called "the ping." This idea was coined by my friend Matt H. and his roommate...I think. All I know is it's not my original idea, and I'm just trying to give credit where credit is due.

The term uses a radar as its inspiration. When you send out a radar signal it makes a "ping" sound as it hits objects, and one can choose to send a similar signal back. (At least that is how I understand it in very basic terms...) So, "pinging" or to receive a "ping" refers to the insignificant nothings that people send via text, facebook, twitter, etc. These small comments are a tentative way of feeling out a person's interest. They are supposed to seem detached and casual, but really, we all probably get a little excited when those nothings are returned back to us in the similar communicative form.

This is basically how Generation Y members test the waters. You send out a "ping," hope for one back, do that little dance for awhile, and then (hopefully) move on to a more substantial form of communication. I guess our generation is a little less gutsy when it comes to first stages of budding relationships. I haven't decided if this is a smart solution or not. "Pings" are a nice way to make sure you're not investing too much or jumping too fast, but at the same time they confuse people. Not every text or facebook comment I send is a subliminal message that I want you. I guess some are just more obvious than others. People wait longer and longer to put themselves out there, and it really just wastes time.

Basically I hate meaningless tasks that are socially required for some reason or another.

No comments: