Pages

Monday, May 3, 2010

Is this normal??

I remember details. Like details. I'm actually quite good at putting names with faces and places. So good in fact, I pretend to forget names or that I recognize you to make myself seem less like a creeper. I go crazy until I can remember exactly from where I recognize you. And I will eventually figure it out. It's just in my genes. My grandma had a phenomenal memory, and she passed it down so that I have been lucky enough to get it. If I forget your name...(it's probably because I didn't care to store it in the first place.) Or sometimes my brain runs on normalcy and forgets like everyone else.



Case in point: Today someone introduced himself like it was the first time we were meeting. "Hi, I'm so-and-so" I just say "oh hi, I'm Tanya." I'm thinking: Yeah I already knew you're name was so-and-so and I know what class we had together and where you're from and that we had a mutual friend/acquaintance.

Case in another point: A guy sitting next to the guy above says, "I think I might have had a class with you." Might have? We had two. This one and that one. You always fell asleep in this one, and you always sat on that side of the room in that one. You came into Jamba Juice one time when I was working there, and I mentioned that you looked familiar. You looked at me like I was crazy, but played it off politely. "Oh yeah, maybe we did have a class or something..."

This happens to me a lot.

5 comments:

Meagan said...

Tanya, I'm like this too. I've totally recognized people and remembered things and details but had to play it off. I didn't want to come off as a creeper. Sometimes I get annoyed that other people can't remeber as well as I do. So I've tried to calm down on remembering things so well because some people are really terrible at remembering. Although I don't think I'm quite as good as remembering as you!

Tanya said...

Yay! I'm not alone. We should just embrace the creeper in us.

Monica said...

speaking of creeper...who is creepy mccreeperson asian person that keeps putting comments on all of your posts?

overgrownzygote said...

hey tanya! this is sara from high school, i was browsing the facebook and i saw that you had a blog! anyway i totally do the same thing, i remember nearly too much about other people, ahha... and yeah i definitely have faked forgetting people's names and such before... anyway you have some cool stuff written here!!

Carol said...

This blog totally cracked me up because I can just hear your voice coming through your writing. Yeah, that good old memory is just in our genes.