Pages

Sunday, May 9, 2010

And you can tell everybody, this is your blog post...*

*cue Elton John classic preferably redone by Ewan McGregor.

It's Mother's Day and just for my mom, I'm writing her a lovely blog post because she loves everything I do :)

Things I have learned from my mom:
1. Take your time picking the right person--there is no rush to get married at 20.
2. How to make world-class cookies. (I have yet to meet a contender.)
3. How to cook in general.
4. How to be more assertive.
5. What's most important in life (i.e. God, Jesus Christ, and family)
6. Don't go to bed angry.
7. The importance of education and making the most of your talents.
8. How to be more of a people person.
9. How to budget and be frugal.
10. How to drive aggressively and multitask.
11. The importance of giving 100% in every responsibility you have.
12. The usefulness of speaking a second language.
13. Don't date chauvenists.
14. The entertainment that comes from quality films with people like Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant, Doris Day, etc., etc., etc.,
15. A love of music.
16. How to be a better leader.
17. You have to fight for what you want.
18. The happiness that comes from following Jesus Christ.
19. The importance of being home.
20. Pure, maternal love.

This is not an exhaustive list by any means, but it hopefully gives everyone a very general sense of who my mother is. She is smart, assertive, loving, and down-to-earth. She can strike up a conversation anywhere, anytime. She has so many life experiences from traveling or going on a mission or going to college that has embellished who she is. I have a mother who loves God and loves our family with all that she has. I have been so blessed to be raised by such a strong woman in my life.

One time in second grade, my mom was volunteering and came out to recess with me. We saw the girls spinning on the bars, and my mom said, "I used to do that when I was a little girl." So we all said, "Show us! Show us!" So my mom got on the bars and spun around and around. Everyone gathered around, and thought it was so cool that an adult was spinning on the bars. I remember feeling so proud and thinking, "wow, what a great mom I have."

Luckily my mom and I never had that typical strained teenager-parent relationship during high school. It's such a cliche, but my mom has really been one of my best friends. She has more faith in me than sometimes I even have in myself. Her constant love and support has sometimes baffled me in my darkest times. Why would someone believe in me that much? As I have let more light and clarity come into my life, I realize that I couldn't have done it with out someone as loving and dedicated as my mom always backing me up. Since that day in second grade, I still think everyday, "wow, what a great mom I have."

2 comments:

Monica said...

de acuerdo con todo.

Carol said...

That was the most beautiful gift a mother could ever receive for Mother's Day. So glad you're my daughter! I love you dearly!!