Pages

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Walking for an hour each way makes you think

I missed my sister today. She's serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Guatemala. I know she's supposed to be there and help people feel God's love for them. I just want her here sometimes. I miss running across campus to get to her house. I miss escaping for a day, a weekend, or sometimes a week... I'm not a moocher. It makes me feel uncomfortable and burdensome, but Monica never got mad when I ate her food or wore her clothes. Growing up, we had times when we were really distant and in two very different stages of our lives. I never understood what my mom meant when she said we should be best friends with our brothers and sisters because they will always be there. I know what she means now. I miss my brothers too. Some of my favorite, vivid memories are in the backyard playing power rangers, captain planet, spiderman, batman, and every other super hero imaginable. I realize that Scott is going to go on a mission soon, and then maybe me, and then Todd... Then people are going to go to college, get married, get jobs, move away. Sometimes it just feel like I'm at a really long summer camp or something, and when I come home, things are just where they left off. But they aren't. I realize that I am past that stage of my life, but sometimes I don't like it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't take family for granted. Even though we won't live in the same house again, and we'll each go our own directions, my family will always be an anchor for me. I love them more than words express.

No comments: