Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

love me some stem cells

Evidence that I am a nerd at heart:

I watched a lecture about stem cells, and it just made me tingle with excitement. And we read a beautiful paper in biochem where they induced differentiated pancreas exocrine cells to insulin-secreting beta cells. It was the coolest thing ever. Seriously, when people talk about developmental biology or stem cells, I can't help but fall in love with the topic. I think that is what I want to study forever, even though it's a longer road because it takes longer to publish results due to the lengthy nature of the experiments. But it's just so mesmerizing.

I'm too lazy to form an organized argument on stem cell research right now, but basically it's ridiculous to prohibit government funding of embryonic stem cell research when it can do so much good. Suffice it to say, (and I am in no way demeaning the value of life) I do not believe that a 4-cell embryo (give or take a few stages) created in a lab has a soul that we are deliberately destroying. I don't believe that "life" begins at conception. I don't think we are foiling God's plan by finding new medical advances. I believe that God, among many things, is a scientist, and I believe we should take advantage of as many scientific frontiers as possible.

peace. love. and science.

No comments: