Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

A Sad Day in Potluck History

Tomorrow my department has a Christmas potluck.  'Tis the season, eh?

EXCEPT...

As I went to sign up to bring something, the secretary informed me that it had to be store-bought.  Homemade goods are a no-go this year because of food handling permits, yada, yada, yada.   She seemed equally distraught to tell me this news as I was to hear it.

Who wants store-bought treats at Christmas??  It's the one time a year where people actually have motivation to make stuff!  I like how they treat it as if people have no freedom in their eating choices.  If you are wary of homemade stuff, don't eat it!  Furthermore I find it frustrating that we are more scared of whatever "germs" people are going to pass by bringing something from home than we are concerned with the hydrogenated oils, red 40, random preservatives, artificial colors, sugar sugar and more sugar, other ingredients masquerading as sugar, etc.  This seems a little backwards to me considering the ratio of how many times people get sick from other people's food versus how many people eat their health away with food that comes in boxes and cans--instead of from dirt.

Here's my conspiracy theory:  I think they want us to eat the junk with all the preservatives so that we'll all get cancer, and then people will still have jobs researching cures for cancer.  Yeah, I think that's right.

I might just bring a home-made dessert anyway with a big sign that says:  Warning:  These wheat-free, sugar-free, vegan brownies were made at home.  This means I probably licked my finger while making the batter, but they are cooked at 350 degrees, so you're probably okay.  Eat at your own risk.  (But seriously, you'll be missing out if you don't.)


3 comments:

Claire said...

DO IT!

Beth said...

What did you end up doing?

Tanya said...

Haha, I ended up bringing bananas...surprise, surprise. The brownies weren't that great to normal people after all. Maybe too much cauliflower...